2017 was an exciting year on the writing front for me:
- I wrote and edited–then edited and edited and edited–7 action adventure, science fiction, young adult books.
- I published my first series, The Tacket Secret.
- I made my first book, Out of the Shadows, permafree.
- I compiled the remaining books into an eBook boxed set.
- I began writing the next series, Special Agent Tacket.
- The first book in that series, Into the Fire, is 80% done. (You can check out a sneak peak preview of the first chapter draft by clicking this link.)
I’ve learned the basics of writing and publishing books, and I plan to grow those skills in 2018.
However, of the many lessons I’ve learned this year, one rises to the top: the importance of identifying my priorities and holding to them.
At times, I’ve been sucked into the expediencies of life, rushing to check the next responsibility off my list and losing focus on what’s important. I’m often reminded of the classic quote, “Don’t let the tyranny of the urgent crowd out the important.”
The pace of life is ever increasing, and it’s easy to get caught up in “keeping up” with everyone else. I’m tempted to fall into this mindset all the time, but I have a choice: join that race or run my own.
I choose to run my own.
I’m not planning to be a hermit and avoid others. Quite the contrary. I plan to make myself more available to those closest to me. I’ll still write and publish, but it’ll be in the context of feet-on-the-ground helping.
Social media support, cyber connections and charity, and virtual reality compassion have a place. But none of those offer human touch.
My presence is the best present I can give to those around me, and 2018 will be year for generous application.
Have a Happy New Year!